What is Human Resources?
You know that Human Resources (HR) is an important part of effectively running your business, but you’re not sure exactly what fits under the HR umbrella. Understanding what HR experts do can help you make informed decisions when it comes time to hire for your HR job opening. Below, you’ll find some general information on what Human Resources entails and tips for when it’s time to hire.
The 5 Main Areas of HR
- Talent Management – Covers anything that pertains to recruiting potential candidates, hiring, and onboarding
- Compensation and benefits – Includes evaluating industry pay practices, establishing a compensation structure, writing job descriptions, and negotiating employee benefits
- Training and development – Spearheads new employee orientations, training programs, professional development, and managerial training
- Compliance – Specializes in understanding employment and labor laws and regulations to keep your business compliant with all laws, and develop the policies that make up the employee handbook
- Workplace Safety – Leads safety training initiatives and often partners with benefits specialists when filing Workers’ Compensation or disability
While in larger companies you’ll find several individuals who will specialize in specific areas, smaller companies have one or two people who tackle a variety or all of these responsibilities. Depending on your company’s own needs, you’ll want to find someone who has experience in the areas that you’re looking to hire for. Determine what those needs are, and that will help you begin to narrow down the kind of Human Resources Jobs you’ll need to post.
Create a detailed HR Job Posting to Attract the Right Candidates
The truth is that your job post is a crucial part of the hiring process since it’s what will help attract the ideal candidates to apply. Once you determine what your expectations are for the individual who will be in this role, a good place to start is by searching for a job description for the role you’re looking to fill. This can help shape the foundation of your job post before you customize it to your specific needs. Clearly list out what you’re looking for, preferably by order of importance so candidates know what you prioritize.
Tips for Evaluating Your Candidates
As you narrow down your list of contenders, use your job description to create questions for the interviews. For instance, if you know you need to hire a variety of different roles outside of just HR, ask questions around their experience recruiting candidates. Make sure you’re honest about the challenges your company is facing and the goals that you’re looking to accomplish once this person comes on board.
GigSmart Makes it Easy to Fill Your HR Jobs
As your business expands and you hire more employees, the need for HR experts emerges. By connecting you with a large network of highly qualified individuals, GigSmart helps you find the right candidates to fulfill your business needs. Whether this is your first time searching for HR staffing or you’ve done this countless times, we make it easy to find the right candidate for you in a timely and cost-efficient way.